Friday, December 25, 2009

Mom's 2009 Christmas Fan Fic

The Hope of Christmas

by Mom


"Sweetheart, could you please pass the chocolate biscotti?" 

Remus smiled at his wife and handed her a basket that was lined with a crisp white linen napkin and filled with crunchy, chocolate dipped cookies.

"Thank you," smiled Tonks as she helped herself to two pieces. "You?"

"No, thank you. I think I'll just have another cup of this perfectly brewed coffee," said Remus, pouring himself a cup from the thermal carafe that sat on their table in the small restaurant.

"Aaahhh," he sighed as he took a sip. "How do they get it to taste like this?"

"I know," said Tonks. "Everything is just perfect. I could sit here for hours. I've never felt so relaxed."

Remus leaned over and kissed his wife on the cheek, then leaned back and took another sip of his coffee.

"Did you hear," asked Tonks as she crunched the biscotti, "the latest news of Harry?"

Remus raised his eyebrows. "I heard ... something.  But, I thought we weren't supposed to talk about it until the meeting."

"Well," said Tonks, "I'm sure that what I heard wasn't top secret. They're saying that he was offered the position of Minister of Magic, but that he has no interest."

"Of course he doesn't," said Remus. "Harry has always had far too much sense to want to get into politics. And Ginny would certainly have none of it."

"No, she wouldn't!" laughed Tonks. "She's far too sensible as well. They'd rather live a quiet life, have loads of kids and time to see all their family, don't you think?  I think Harry should get into teaching. What a wonderful Hogwarts professor he would be!"

Remus laughed. "Well, I can vouch for the fact that teaching can be a, umm, an interesting job. Harry would surely end up as headmaster, too, don't you think?"

"Absolutely," said Tonks, leaning back from the table, and patting her stomach. "I am so full. I couldn't eat another thing. Unless they have hot chocolate. I might be able to manage a few sips."

A waiter appeared at Tonks' side. "And would you like whipped cream on top?" he asked.

"Why, yes!" said Tonks. "That would be lovely."

The waiter disappeared through the door into the kitchen, and returned with a steaming cup of chocolate and an enormous bowl of freshly whipped cream. "Help yourself to the topping, ma'am," he said, and swept away to take an order at another table.

"Well," said Tonks, "what else is on the agenda for tonight?"

"I thought we'd take a little stroll before the meeting. Would you like to walk by the lake?"

"I'd love it," said Tonks. "It's magical at this time of evening. So pretty."

"It is," said Remus. "Everything here is magical, though.  I just never imagined. Everything we did to get here was worth it. What a trip though, eh?"

Tonks smiled and nodded as they rose from the table. "I'd do it all again," she said, "but I'm glad we don't have to."

Remus laughed. "Me, too. Now, let's head to that lake."

*****

Silver Lake lived up to its name. Sparkling water lapped gently at the shore, as the moon and the starlight shone across the rippling water. Remus and Tonks looked up at the full moon and hugged one another.

"It's a whole new way of living, isn't it, Sweetheart?"

"Yes," said Remus, shaking his head. "I still can't believe it."

"Believe it. You'll never have to live the old way again."

"I know. I know, and yet ... it's all like a dream that's too good to be true. Do you feel that way sometimes?"

"Sometimes, yes. But mostly I just feel happy. For you, for me, for us. For everyone."

"Yes."

They gazed up at the moon and Tonks rested her head on Remus' shoulder.  "We'd better head to the meeting now," she said.

*****

They walked into the meeting room together. "I just love this place!" said Tonks. "This reminds me of that muggle theater we sometimes used to go to. Remember the time we saw 'Wicked'? What funny ideas the muggles have about witches!"

Remus nodded with a chuckle. "If only they knew," he said.

They found seats and looked around to see who else was at the meeting.

"Look! There's Clive," said Tonks. "And I see Francis. He's wearing his kitty t-shirt. That's so sweet. Oh, and look! There's Ebenezer. And there's Teresa. She's so short and so cute! She's just radiant, though, isn't she?" Remus nodded.

On the stage, a large man with a gruff voice approached a microphone. "This meeting will now come to order," he said. "We have a great many assignments to hand out tonight.  As you all know, it is thanks to the boss that we are able to gather like this and offer to others the gifts we will soon give to our assignees.  Some of them don't believe that our gifts matter, or are possible, but we know differently, don't we?"

The audience murmured and laughed. "Some of them," the man continued, "have asked directly for help, but others have been referred to us. "

Tonks leaned toward Remus and said, "I'm so excited! I love this part of our job!"

"Me, too," Remus whispered. "Now, shhhh ...."

Tonks, looking properly scolded, pretended to zip her lips and then crossed her heart. They both returned their attention to the man on stage.

"Okey-doke," the man said, "now, let's get started. "Clive, you'll be responsible this week for a man in Tilden, Nebraska who just can't make up his mind about the boss. Make it count, okay?"

Clive nodded and scribbled a note in a leather bound book.

"Francis! Stay on the P.E.T.A. job! We've got to make a dent there."

With a quiet nod, the humble friar bowed his head.

"Ebenezer, you've got a fellow in New York City who keeps working too late. His family is quite unhappy with him these days."

"I'm on it!" said Ebenezer, straightening his top hat.

"Teresa! You've got a whole lot of nuns on your list. And a bunch of really poor people, and an even bigger bunch of rich ones who just don't get it. Can you handle that many this week?"

The small woman nodded. "Shall I go start now?" she asked.

"Yes!" boomed the man on stage. "The sooner the better! That Wall Street guy is going to be a tough nut to crack."

The little woman scurried off, and the man on stage said, "Tonks!"

"Yes, sir!" shouted Tonks.

"No need to 'sir' me, Tonks. Just call me Peter. Your assignment this week is Draco Malfoy.  He's getting really close to a full turnaround, but it's going to take some more effort. Stay on him all week, okay?"

"Yes, sir! shouted Tonks. "I mean, yes, Peter. I'll do everything I can."

"I know you will," the man said gently. "You're doing very well with all your assignments.  That Umbridge conversion was a major coup." 

Tonks blushed and smiled. "Thank you, sir," she said.

Peter smiled. "Remus?" he said, "you'll be in charge of Harry and Ginny this week. They're praying fervently for a baby and it's your job to take that request to the boss."

"Yes, Peter," said Remus with an enormous smile. He looked slyly over at Tonks, who punched him on the shoulder.

"You knew!" she said.

"Well, I heard rumors," Remus smiled. "Won't that be a wonderful thing to request of the Big Guy?"

"More than wonderful!" said Tonks. "How exciting!"

Soon all the assignments had been handed out, and Peter said, "Alright, troops! It's time to get to work. And remember, what is it that makes our prayers count?"

"The Hope!" cried the crowd.

"The What?" yelled Peter.

"The Hope!" they cried back.

"The Hope of What?" called Peter.

"The Hope of Christmas!" cried the crowd.

"And Who's the Hope?" cried Peter.

"Jesus!" they cried. "Jesus! The Hope of Christmas! The Fuel Behind Our Prayers! The Big Guy! The Boss!" they cried wildly.

"Yes," said Peter with a satisfied sigh. "Now let's get out there and catch some souls!"

The crowd broke into applause, and Tonks and Remus hugged each other tightly.

"Did you ever think, Remus," Tonks whispered, "that Heaven could be like this? I've never been so happy!"

"Neither have I," said Remus.  "But we should have known that the Hope of Christmas would never let us down.  Now," he said, kissing Tonks on the forehead and gazing steadily into her eyes, "let's get on our knees and get to work!"


The End

2 comments:

  1. I loved this story, Mrs. Edmisten. It sort of reminds me of Narnia a little bit (with St. Peter leading things, because he's who I think Peter is supposed to symbolize in the Narnia books). It was very cleverly written and I didn't figure out right away that they were in Heaven. I loved how the Saints and Ebenezer Scrooge were there, taking care of things in their lines; A Christmas Carol is one of my favorite books of all time, and I like to picture Scrooge like that, spending his heaven doing good on earth (to quote Theresa). I always hoped that Marley redeemed himself, too; do you think maybe walking the earth and saving Scrooge was his Purgatory? That's my theory.

    I'll bet that the Hope of Christmas will give Harry and Ginny their baby. :)

    Merry Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Agnes, I agree with your purgatory theory for Marley. And funny you mention C.S. Lewis, because that's who Clive is in the story -- Clive Staples Lewis, and I had him praying for my Atticus. :)

    Thanks for your comments!

    ReplyDelete